Meeting For Worship
During the Covid Pandemic, Friends have worshipped outside during warm weather or at home. During the colder weather, Friends have been meeting at the meeting house without masks on the 1st, 3rd and 5th Sundays, while Friends who wish to wear masks and social distance meet at the meeting house on the 2nd and 4th Sundays. We look forward to the time when we can all worship together at the meeting house.
We extend a warm welcome to you to share in our Meeting for Worship which begins as Friends enter the meeting room and sit in silence. We gather in silence to seek communion with God to search for divine will and guidance for ourselves, the group, and for society. The hour of worship may be entirely quiet or there may be spoken messages. One should not come ready either to speak or not to speak, but rather to wait and be responsive to the Inner Light. When a Friend feels compelled to speak,he or she rises and shares the message simply and briefly. When others feel in unity with the message,it may become the seed for further meditation. At the rise of Meeting, we join hands and share our concerns, prayer requests and announcements.
After Meeting for Worship there is usually coffee and juice. We hope you will linger with us and join in our fellowship.
Day & Time
Menallen Monthly Meeting gathers for worship at the Menallen Meetinghouse each First Day (Sunday) between 10:30 a.m. and 11:30 a.m.
First Day School
When children are in attendance, First day School begins after ten to fifteen minutes of silent worship. The children join again at the end of the meeting for announcements, etc.
- Our worship is silent and unprogrammed, and subject to the guidance of the Holy Spirit.
- A period of time is used to center into an inward stillness. Spirit-led listening is perhaps the most important task of the worshipper.
- Spoken messages come from the spiritual depth of one's life and from the leading of the Holy Spirit.
- To be absorbed, each message needs to be followed with a period of silence which allows for deepening.
- When the vocal and silent ministry speak to the condition of those present and is developed and deepened in the Truth, a profound sense of spiritual community occurs that freshens and delights. This is what we call a "gathering Meeting."
- Meeting for Worship ends after about an hour when the head of the Meeting shakes hands with those nearby. We then greet those sitting around us in a similar manner.